Sunday, August 24, 2008

I. Am. Sick.

Yes. It is true. Approximately one week away from the most important athletic attempt in my entire life and I am sick. Today marks the fourth day in a row without training, and the other days I "trained" last week were pretty lame. Ugh. If I was super-organized I would be looking back on my training logs and reminding myself of all the glorious hours I have logged on my bike and assuring myself that I am not turning into a big bowl of jello. But I gave up on the training logs (takes too much time to record everything) so instead I am having to rely on other things:



What exactly is wrong you ask? Well I feel like my lungs are filled with fluid, it hurts to breathe (in my chest and back area) my throat is killing me and I can't do anything for more than two hours without being totally exhausted. I am armed with an inhaler and some anti-inflammatories that aren't doing anything, but I haven't given up on them yet. Everyone keeps telling me about their cousin's best friend's husband Billy Bob who was sick and didn't train for five whole days and then PR'd their IM. I believe it. But right now I just want to be able to walk up a flight of stairs without being winded. That's my primary goal for the day.

In other news my left leg has gone totally ape on me. After months of nearly pain-free running the bone is swelling up and my knee hurts even when I walk! Some peeps have suggested phantom pain because I am tapering. I abandoned two runs last week due to it, and let's just hope this "phantom"clears out by next Sunday.

I am throughly enjoying watching all the coverage of Ironman Canada today. I have professed how "over it" I am, but today I am starting to actually want to do this Ironman! I typed up a three-page packing list, re-taped my bars, and will get my bike cleaned up and race wheels on soon!

4 comments:

Kevin said...

Wow! Take it easy! Feel better. Hopefully you will be recovered fully come race day.

StephB said...

I'm so sorry you are sick! Better now than in a week, though, I guess. Seriously, Joe Friel's book says that it takes at least 2 weeks for your training to have fitness value so don't worry about those runs.

Nat said...

Your fitness is fine and rest is ideal at this point. AND best of all, you are sure to PR just so long as you finish, right? ;)

I've certainly raced sick but not of an ironman caliber so I can't speak there. But if it is just a cold then you should be nearly back to 100% by race day. Have you seen a Dr to make sure you do not have an infection? I will say it sounds like you have the crud my kids have both had and they only had 2 bad days and were better in a week. I mean, they still went to school and rode their bikes and played.
At any rate I will be thinking get healthy vibes for you.

Ange said...

I hope you're feeling better! Seems like getting sick is kind of normal during taper. Your body finally "lets down" after all the work and bugs get in there. I bet with all sorts of rest...you'll be good to go. GOOD LUCK in Kentucky!!!