Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Rubbed raw!

Yesterday was my first ever three hour run. I went as terrifically splendid as a run can possibly be when you are on the verge of a stomach explosion at the end and just plain uncomfortable. I think that I was drinking a bit too much water and that was the reason my tummy was upset, because I only ate three gels and had 24 ounces of gatorade. Water? That's another story. LOTS of water. I was super hot and was sweating like I have NEVER sweat before! In fact at mile 13 I took of my socks because they were soaking wet (I can't stand having my feet wet!) and ran the last 5 miles with no socks and wet shoes. But I didn't get blisters so it looks like my 8 remaining toenails are safe! But I was having a ton of discomfort where my sports bra was rubbing me. I knew that it was rubbing me raw (this sometimes happens when I sweat a lot) but what I wasn't expecting was this:


It's kind-of hard to tell from the pic, but it's actually quite painful. Today it looks even worse. It looks like a blister and hurts worse than road rash. There's a lot more but it's not in places that I can show 'ya! During the night it got all oozy and was stuck to my shirt when I woke up this morning. Nice. I was concerned that the water in the pool would burn really badly so I pulled over on the way to my swim and squirted myself with my water bottle to test it out. Bearable so I went to the pool. Probably not the best for the sanitation of the pool, but the chlorine needs to kill something right?

The good news is that I have learned that I need to 1) use body glide and 2) not wear that sports bra for IM. I already turn my bra inside out on a suggestion, so if you ladies have any other tricks let me know 'cuz this burns!

I am late posting the pics from the huge storm we had on Sunday. Lightening stuck a tree in the courtyard and it went down over cars, a gate, and literally stopped at someones front door. If the tree had fallen the other direction it would been right on top of a house and destroyed it. The people who live 8 feet from the tree were truly blessed!







5 comments:

Nat said...

Hey congrats on your long run! It has been wicked hot this week.

I don't usually have any chafing problems except from my ipod or my "run like a girl shirt". Never from my running bra. My two favorite running bras are my Moving Comfort Bra and my Target Champion seamless bra. However, if I remember correctly, your girls might require a bit more support than mine. So I suggest the Moving Comfort bra. They sell it at Big Peach and it comes in band/cup sizes.

Ask Steph about body glide and all that crap. She is the Queen of Chafing and can better advise.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the 3 hour run, always a big milestone!! You might want to check your sodium intake, I always get a nice tummy bloat going when my salt intake is low (too much water, not enough salt). I lose a lot of salt (i.e. sweat). As for the chafing... I wish I had full proof answer for you, but I would highly recommend the Frog Bra over at Title Nine, but I've never worn it over 15 running miles. Good luck!

:) said...

Greta job on the 3 hour tour...I mean run! :)

Kellye Mills said...

Congratulations on your first 3 hour run!! Here's to many more!! As far as chaffing and rubbing, I seriously have scars in my sports bra area. So I never run without almost dipping myself in body glide! It really works so well!!

Me said...

hi! Uh, I am very very well versed in the chaffing industry. :) I'm with Kellye as I also have a few scars. I have to wear 2 sports bras to run and basically you have to body glide EVERYWHERE the bra touches you...however, if you do this, you can do it before the swim on IM day and it will hold for the duration of the run. You can try it in a big brick day, like put it on before your long ride and when you have a 50 min-1 hr run after that long ride you can test it. you'll know it works then and can feel confident about it on race day. I promise you, if you glide it up everywhere, the chaffing won't be that bad. you just have to really glide it up. It would help if you have someone that can do it. basically, i cover my entire breasts and anywhere the bra will touch me being extra careful around the "tighter" areas. Good luck. :) oh. ps i am one of caroles athletes and got linked over to your page. :)