Wednesday, September 17, 2008

T-R-A-I-L!

T to the R to the A to the I to the L...what's that spell? Trail! I have found my ultimate run spot: on the trails. How much do I love it? I went running four days in a row? Wha-what? Yes it is true. Anti-running Dani is having a serious change of heart.

Saturday Keith and I took the dogs to the trail off Mason Mill. I would run some with Poncey, then with Bella, while he walked (he is nursing an ankle injury) it was pretty exhausting for the dogs (they passed out and slept for 8 straight hours when we got home!) Sunday I hit the trail up again, then on Monday too.

I decided on Monday that I needed some trail shoes before I slipped on a root and broke something. I hit up Big Peach where Kate recommended some La Sportiva mountain running shoes. Painfully ugly, but they will keep me from rolling my ankles.

Tuesday I changed things up and went to Kennesaw Mountain. Wow. Far less technical. Only one tree down and no creeks to cross. Did a longer run and loved it. Calves were burning from the almost one mile total uphill. As much as I detest hills, you would think trail running would be out of the picture for me.

I think it rocks so much because you are forced to pay attention to your surroundings. If you don't you are probably going to fall. This means no staring at your watch anticipating when things are going to end.

This might sound crazy but I think next year I am training for this. A guy at Big Peach was telling me about how beautiful it is up there. I will try and decide in the next couple of months if it's even possible.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Treehugger!

Stewart said...

that's why i love the hooch!!!

Kevin said...

I have this great mountain less then 5 miles from my house with over 3 miles of trails with some serious climbs. I have had to put it on hold until after next weeks half iron since I tried to do my best impersonation of superman twice the last time I was there.