Wednesday, October 15, 2008

LT, VO2 Max, and other things that hurt!

So I had my VO2 Max retested on the bike. Ouch. I was hoping for huge improvements (ya know in time for the Tour 2009) But apparently there was only my VO2 Max only increased .2 ml/kg/min. Hardly anything worth writing home about. I was whining about this dismal increase when my professor pulled up the information about my lactic threshold. That's where things really started to get exciting because my LT heartrate has increased to 170! MAJOR improvement! My last test was in September 2007 so I knew that I had made some really major ground, but an LT heartrate of 170 is seriously high and I am so happy about it! If I wasn't being tested on a $50,000 piece of equipment by someone with a PhD in Exercise Science, I would think it was a mistake. What does this mean? Mostly that I am a total goon for not having my LT redone a million times in the midst of Ironman training. Because I was working with the wrong LT all season I made minimal gains in speed on the bike and basically sold myself short. Although this is the "off" season and we are supposed to be doing "base" stuff I feel like my entire season was spent doing long slow stuff and now I am itching for some speed!

Speaking of speed (or lack thereof) I ran in the Chandler Park 5k on Saturday with Sarah Heaton. Since we are both coming off Ironman (me Louisville, her Wisconsin) we were pretty sure that we wouldn't be speed demons. Add that in with lot's of hills we didn't know about and it made for a tough little 5k!! We refueled with breakfast at the Flying Biscuit, OMG, so yummy! I need to incoporate one long run with refueling there every week!

Other things that hurt? My ankle. Like really badly. Ugh. But I think that my sinus infection has started to clear up and I am able to breathe again!

Next up on my agenda: transferring bike speed to running speed. Let me know what your favorite speed workouts are, I'm in the market for some pain!

No comments: