Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A new president....

Well, one thing is for sure, we have elected a new president! Go America! We rock the democracy monkey! I did my civic duty and went out and voted yesterday. I researched both candidates and watched all the speeches BEFORE making my decision. I was not swayed by my parent's, friend's, or the usual "voting for a certain party". I let the issues be the reason why I voted who I voted for. I am proud of everyone who gave their time up to vote!

That being said, there was something very disturbing on Facebook yesterday. Someone I know posted their status as "F$%& (candidates name) and anyone who voted for him is a F$#%&$% idiot!". Comments like that are ignorant and totally uncalled for. You simply cannot call someone an idiot because they exercised their right to vote for someone-and that person was not who you voted for! I was so disturbed by her comment status, that I deleted her as my friend.

Basically, who you vote for is your business, not mine. I am responsible for myself, and of course it would be my preference if you voted for my candidate, but it's up to you to do your own research then make an educated decision based on your views, not mine. While standing in line to vote yesterday I was texting my friends, many of whom were also in line. One of my friends asked me who I was voting for, I responded with his name, but didn't ask her who she was voting for, because I am certain it wasn't the same choice as mine. Either way, I still love her the same and would never judge someone because their political views differ from mine.

I hope that those of you reading this will be respectful of your family, friends, and coworkers choices, even if they aren't the same as yours!

4 comments:

BreeWee said...

Nice way to keep chill about all the voting! My mom is so hardcore that I have to ignore her during voting week... love how mello and nonjudgmental you are!

LOVE your IMFL pictures too, fun times!
Hugs to you and your man!
Bree

JoeVic said...

I am passionate about my political opinions. Vocal sometimes. I've even been called stubborn and perhaps a few other things. :)

But the wonderful thing about this country of ours is you and I have the freedom to make our own decisions, have our own opinions and for the time being, voice those opinions without fear.

I may disagree with you and question your decisions or not understand them, but that's ok with me. It's ok to disagree and argue and discuss. We learn better that way.

I am very dissappointed with the outcome of this election and have voiced this on my website. But I'm not going to disrespect others who don't feel the way I do.

If a friend can't disagree with you without getting all pissy and idiotic, they're not much of a friend.

Now I will say this. I don't have any respect for people who vote straight down party lines, or because of someones heritage or skin color. To me that's not helping this country. They have to do what you and I did, get to know the candidates, form an opinion and understand what they're voting for.

Ok, I've rambled long enough. I hope you don't get angry with me for my opinions, I'm certainly not with you.

Joe

Stewart said...

The great thing about whomever that person is, is that you now know their true character. People need to know that change will always happen no matter what. This country is a mixture of all cultures and it was only a matter of time before the shades of its leaders changed as well. Joe is right, you need to vote for the right reason. Let's be honest and say this. There are those who voted for Obama because he is a Black man. There are those who didn't put Hilary there because she's a women. McCain picked a woman because Obama is Black. People voted for McCain because they don't want a Black man running the country. I can go on and on. Things other than issues drive most of us whether we want to admit it or not....that is just reality. Anyone who doesn't believe that is fooling themselves. That being said, not it's time to put money where the mouth is. Let's all start to make a difference and get involved with making the change in this country. We can all make our own history that can have a lasting affect on this country. Hey, but that's just me.:)

Kevin said...

You said it well. I completely agree with joevic. We all have the right to our own opinions no matter how right or wrong may be.

Name calling is not the way to respond when you disagree with someone