Sunday, November 16, 2008

ZZZZZZOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!

BRRRRRRRR!!!!!! Ya'll are some lucky ladies that I supported today because when my alarm went off at 5am I surely didn't want to get up! I went to bed late last night because we went to the Hawk's game (thanks to Pee Wee for the great tickets!!) and was super sleepy this morning. My job was to go to the Zooma half marathon and 5k and ride around on my bike, with a first aide kit and my phone, in case of emergency or someone needing a little medical attention.

I froze to death.

Literally, I have never been so cold in my life. I wore fleece lined pants, compression socks, shoe covers, a Sugoi sub-zero fleece lined top, a vest, another fleece lined jacket, and a windbreaker. It did nothing for me! The weather was about 35 degrees at the start but with the wind blowing and me riding so slow I just never warmed up, I got colder.

It was super fun despite being ultra-uncomfortable. I rode with the winner for a while, then rode around and found Tat, Michelle, Misty, Laurie, Sue, Sandy and some other peeps I knew riding the half. Then I rode some more until I absolutely could not bear to ride anymore for fear that I was hypothermic. I met Kevin who was there supporting his wife. I saw Kate win the 5k after 3 weeks of running coming off a stress fracture, go Kate! I mulled around the Luna tent and handed out some samples.

I did score a long sleeve technical shirt for volunteering! I love long sleeve tech shirts! It's a wee bit short on account of my bosom but I can figure out a way to make it work. There was one guy who did the whole run in drag, full on wig and everything! This was a woman's race series, but men were allowed to race. I was riding behind "it" thinking "wow, really hairy legs!" Then realized it was a guy in one of those running skirts! He was second overall, totally by himself and all the homeless people were having a really hard time figuring out what the heck was going on. I mean the run WAS in downtown and all, so it couldn't have been that unusual!

1 comment:

Kevin said...

It was so stinkin cold out there this morning. I am glad I finally got to met you.

I had a feeling I might run into you and Tat when I noticed that Team luna would be at the expo.

I have got to try and volunteer on my bike at one of these races sooner or later. It sounds like it would be a good time (minus the freezing cold of course)