Sunday, June 29, 2008

Cartersville Century

Well, it wasn't exactly a century. It was short, about 95.5 miles 17.8 avg mph, over 6000 calories burned! (bonus to weighing so much!). Some peeps rode a little at the end to make it the even 100. Me? I am not really an overachiever much these days. I went into the ride determined that it was going to be great, and that nothing was going to be bad about it. I refused to allow any negative thoughts to even begin to surface in my mind.

My positive thinking paid off because this ride was really more enjoyable than I imagined it would have been. I tried out some new nutrition, potato's, and they didn't work as well as I had hoped. The salt that I added made me really thirsty, and the potato's didn't fill me up at all. Odd. Or maybe they just weren't calorie dense enough? KP did say that they are an excellent on the bike food because of the potassium and sodium. True, but they did get all mushy. Might try them again in addition to something like a Clif Bar.

Sarah and Keith made really excellent riding partners today. They were just perfect. Not too fast, not too slow, and both of them had the perfect positive attitude. I love it when no one complains during a ride! Sarah got honorary hill troll honors because she was seriously kicking it up the hills. Great job girl! Look forward to riding with you guys again soon! Marc dropped up 'cuz he's wicked fast! Suob's did their own thing but heard they were pretty fast as well.

Lot's of animal sightings on the ride including live snakes, dogs, kittens, horses, horses, cows, and zebras. It was pretty cool.

Nat, it was wonderful seeing you out there today and I cannot tell you how impressive it is that you went from 63 to 100 miles! Glad that you were able to put the chamois creme to good use. My girly bits could have used some nicer bike shorts.

After the ride I felt really good. I wanted to go play a game of tennis but Keith said nope. I wanted to run a marathon too Nat forgot her running shoes and so did I. Right. Marc had a belly ache and didn't look so good. I think he was just missing Reger. We all did. Maybe next time.

5 comments:

Kellye Mills said...

I LOVE the cartersville century! I hate it that I missed it yesterday. I thought it was really fun last year! Glad you had a great ride!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you had some fun in the sun. I had a strange shifting issue towards the latter part of the ride but managed to make some nice pulls at the front for the first 30 miles. Everybody was fighting for my wheel since I have one of the largest drafts out there (Big guy Gr/Blk APB jersey).

My feel good moment of the ride other then drilling it in front was when I and came around a turn and there was a horse waiting for me... he ran side by side with me till his fence shut him down and the whole time I was talking to him "That's a good boy..." When he started to approach the fence he shook his head and I took that as a wave goodbye so I did the same with my arm.
My max speed was 45.3, I burnt 9750 cals, MaxHR was 182, avg 164 and I spent 2:07 in L5.

Ride on!

-Scott

StephB said...

Glad you had a good ride on Saturday! : )

Kevin said...

Great job on the century ride. I had to do a double take when I was reading Nat's blog and saw that she saw zebras.

BreeWee said...

THANK YOU for reminding me that you do that too, yeah, maybe your bike is in worse damage than mine :)

I have yet to hear about the ceramic tool things... I am all about trying new things to keep the body in one piece with this crazy sport!

Well done on that awesome ride of yours... Cheers!