Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Nerve Entrapment

Doesn't this sound so sinister? Well it's not. Thankfully this is something that will be quite managable and will not require that I backdown from any training or racing. WHEW! Big sigh of relief! I was really worried that I had a pinched sacral nerve. The symptoms are similar but what I have is an "entrapment" of a nerve that is most likely caused by my major muscle imbalance. I learned that some of the exercises that I was doing that I thought would help were actually making it worse.

I really had three appointments today. One with Dr. Hamid and two with the PT. I really like them both. They get me, what I am doing, and how hard-headed that I am. I am going to be going to PT twice a week. I promise not to crap out on it. I have no choice, if I don't correct the imbalance this will only get worse. Today they gave me some exercises that I have to do three times a day. I can already tell a difference. I also had my first Active Release Therapy treatment. I was rather skeptical at first but have heard wonderful things about this from peeps who were at their wits end. I have tons of scar tissue so there is a lot for them to work out. It sort of hurts. When I left and went to work I had no numbness at all during my 45-minute car ride. Odd. Than I rode and my back felt fine. Is it possible that one PT session and ART treatment can cause this much relief? They were amazed with how much imbalance I have. It all goes back to that stupid leg-breaking. Whatever. I am alive and they believe that once I get "balanced" I will be stronger than ever. Yeah baby!!!

No comments: