Monday, June 9, 2008

Sweetwater Triathlon


I finally got a recovery/taper week prior to this race!!! It was my first recovery week since the week of Gulf Coast and my body was begging for it! Going into the race I felt pretty decent, my back is getting much better. I have had a very nagging knee pain all week in my left knee that was brought on by a 11.5 mile run on Monday. But other than that, I felt pretty good! Everyone said "You have to do this race at least once!" and I know understand why. It's a minimalist race, but the atmosphere is very relaxed and there was no pre-race tension at all.
Swim: Seriously, this was the world's shortest triathlon swim. The ladies started one-minute behind the men and I caught up to about five guys that were just treading water. The turn-around was kind-of hairy and this woman grabbed me and her hand went into my back pocket of my top and she pulled me down. I was less than thrilled because she should have just let go, but instead she kept swimming, pulling me in the process. I exited the water right next to Henry, my mailman. He wasn't happy to see me. I was the second woman out of the water and I could see Keith putting his shoes on and mounting his bike. I wanted to catch him SO badly!
Bike: I tried and tried to catch Keith but all the little twist and turns were not in my favor. I caught the first woman out of the water within the first mile and was leading the race. I caught almost all the guys and at this point, there were only about 5 people in front of me, including Keith. The bike course was changed to make it a little longer, but it wasn't long enough for me! Keith stayed about 30 seconds ahead of me the entire time. Bummer. I only averaged 21 MPH on the bike, which wasn't as fast as I would have liked, but it's hard to build up too much speed on a course this short. Although there were not any substantial climbs, the course was not flat at all either.
Run: Prior to the race I asked about the run (which was also a new course) I was told it was "a trail run" Trails?!? I have never run on a trail before!!! I am deathly afraid of anything that involves off-road running because my left ankle is so weak I am paranoid that I will roll it. The minute we went off road on the run I was totally out of my comfort zone. The gravel, rocks, and sand sucked and I almost fell going up a hill. I slowed myself down a bit but was still totally sucking for air. I thought that I was having a heart attack or asthma attack, because that's how hard I was working! I knew that there were women behind me that could probably run faster than me. It was getting so hot and very humid and I was pouring sweat. My shoes were sloshing even though I hadn't poured any water on myself! I got caught by a couple of guys by the first mile. Once we started running on grass I saw a chick that was smoking the course. She was grinning ear to ear. Not a good sign! I tucked my head down and tried to run harder, but I was giving it everything that I had. The run seemed to last forever and the chick caught me with about 3/4 of a mile to go. There was nothing I could do, I was running as fast as I could at that point and just wanted to hold onto second place. When we got back onto the pavement I rounded a corner and saw another lady digging really deep to try and catch me. I started sprinting and made it to the finish line, literally 10 seconds ahead of her. I felt sick to my stomach and curled over, almost throwing up.
I was the second place overall female and I can honestly say that I raced this race pretty hard! The run was a little bit long (3.6 miles) and my average pace was 7:46 min/mile. That's actually my fastest run pace ever and the fact that it was on a mostly trail run is great! I will post more pics soon! Congrats to Keith for winning his AG!

4 comments:

Kellye Mills said...

Wow! That is really awesome and congratulations on getting out there and really racing it!

Freddy Edney said...

Great race...Dani. You almost had it. You will win next time.. You may need to incorporate trail running into your regimen. It's very good.

Nat said...

Yeah! WoW!!!! That is awesome!
So impressive.

Wes said...

Very cool :-) I'm trying to figure out how this one snuck by me. I went out there for a trail run not too long ago, and I was like, wow! This would be a great place for a triathlon!! Live and learn...