Thursday, June 5, 2008

Nutrition Class

I am taking a nutrition class. This is great because I am trying to slim down just a little tiny bit. The reasons are purely for my performance in triathlons. I am typically happy with the way I look. If I am able to reduce my body fat by just 1% I will effectively increase my body's ability to deliver oxygen to my working muscles. This is VERY important while racing! So I have this awesome software program that has a million different food brands already in it. You enter in your information, age, height, weight, and activity level and it tells you not only how many calories that you need, but also how much nutrients that you need. You can enter in the exact physical activity that you did each day it will will refigure your requirements. This is what I had for today:

Calories Required: 3014 Consumed: 2297 (76%)
Protein Required: 30.24 Consumed: 130.61 (217%)
Carbs Required: 330-490 Consumed: 307.81
Fat Required: 67-117 Consumed: 61.59

In terms of my vitamins and minerals the only ones that I didn't meet requirements for were Omega 6 and Omega 3 (but I ate a kids chewy Omega vitamin so I actually did get everything!)
I didn't get all the Vitamin D required or Potassium. Everything else was 100% or more, sometimes WAY more, like Niacin which shows me at 275% and Vitamin A which has me at 1975% But I ate a whopping 47.31 grams of fiber! So that is great, but I really need to focus on the other areas. I am surprised that I got in so much protein, since I only ate meat once today. I did have a protein shake for breakfast though so that probably helped!

I am going to try REALLY hard to even this all out, and actually eat more to lose weight! Does the need to eat more fat mean I get ice cream?!??

5 comments:

JoeVic said...

What is the software you're using, sounds cool?

Danielle said...

It is called Diet Analysis...it's really neat because it breaks down everything, and will show you how much of your fat intake is trans, monosaturated, etc, etc....I am not sure if it's available to the public though because it came with a textbook of mine!

Kellye Mills said...

There's always room for ice cream!!

JoeVic said...

ok, I searched on that name but got no good hits. Can you tell the manufacturers name, version # etc?

If its available to purchase as a text book what book was it?

:) Just asking!! :)

Oh, and I heard you like Turkish Apricots. What the hec are those?!?

Danielle said...

Turkish apricots are to be used with extreme caution! They are bought at the farmer's market, are totally untreated with any sugar, etc, etc.....they have been known to make you have some serious "potty time" it's kind of like a cleansing of sorts. I love them though because they are so delicious! Just don't eat too many at once and wander off too far from home!