Thursday, May 22, 2008

Life in the slow lane.....

Yesterday evening at Master's there were small signs up that said "slow" "middle" and "fast" I panicked that they were going to do some sort of segregation on us. Fortunately the signs were for the kids swim team practice that now swims along-side us. These kids are really, really fast. They have horrible form, but they kick and flail themselves to the end of the pool much faster than I do. Sigh. I am jealous. BTW, swimming next to two people who are both doing butterfly stroke, and very fast, is difficult. It makes for some water swallowing and slow swimming. Sigh. I am a slow swimmer. At least it's starting to get warmer outside. The pool doesn't feel wetsuit legal anymore.

During Tuesday's ride Tat and I came around the corner and found a little turtle. Well, the turtle was actually big. I slowed down and Tat yelled "come on let's go!" The animal lover in me feared that the turtle would get run over. Or worse, that a cyclist would come around the corner and hit him. I stopped to pick him up and he leaked something all over me. Either he was incontinent or was full of water from the lake. Either way I put him in the grass and then sprinted off the catch up with Tat.

I am starting to get a little fatigued. I guess 13 hours the week after Gulf Coast may have been a bit much. Nothing to worry about just yet, but I am feeling like I need a nap on a daily basis. The week of Gulf Coast marked the one-year point where I started running after my accident. It's hard to believe that I have only been running for a year! I never thought that I would be at point where the pain in my leg wasn't constant.....but it's becoming less and less apparent every week.

Only 9 more days of training until I start a much needed recovery week!

I am in week 10 of a 24-week Ironman training plan. I am not a mathematician but I gather that means that there is a little less than 14 weeks left. Yikes!

1 comment:

Tat said...

Like you told me, suck it up!!!!!