Sunday, May 18, 2008

Tour De Cure....

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Tour De Cure raised money for the Diabetes Association. The ride took place on Silk Sheets hillier cousin, Satin Sheets in Tyrone. The Luna Chix were out today. We look very serious in our outfits. We got some Luna Moons and Luna Bars that I look forward to eating.

The plan was to ride the 100k (60ish miles) at a high aerobic pace. Around mile 10 Olga, Maria-Lana, and Don went VROOM past me. I contemplated.....stay with my Luna ladies or chase them down? The back of Olga's jersey was taunting me and my ego made me chase them down. I thought that maybe they would slow down once they saw that I was with them, but no, they kept hammering it. Olga was out in front riding like a madwoman. Then Dan got in front and I thought that they were going to drop me. Surely we wouldn't hold this pace for 45 more miles right? There was a good bit more climbing than I thought there would be out there today, and my legs just aren't into climbing right now. It was my ego that kept me riding today and I reluctantly even took turns pulling my 3 fast comrades.

At one point the RBM team passed us and one of the #$%holes almost ran Olga off the road. What is it with guys on bikes that makes them so rude? Well she drops it into the big chain and latches onto the last guys wheel. Oh. No. Are we really doing this? I had no choice but to downshift and tuck in behind them. I looked down at my computer-31 miles per hour. I did hill repeats yesterday and trust me, my legs weren't exactly loving this. We got to a climb and they guys dropped us. Thank goodness!

Around mile 45ish I got a second wind and no longer felt the need to suck anyone's wheels. We were gobbling up riders left and right and it was fun to sprint the hills when they tried to latch on our wheels. There was a minor incident at the end when we sprinted and Don cut me off and we almost crashed, but we didn't so that's all that matters.

I was very surprised to see my avg HR was only 140 for this ride. I swear that I felt like I was working harder than that. I certainly went a lot faster than I thought I would today. It was a good ride though, very well organized and they put big signs up warning us of holes, RR tracks, etc, which was nice. This course reminded me of Macon, and I wouldn't mind riding down there again.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to put the hammer down, Sweetie!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you finished the ride strong. I was the big guy in the green/black APB kit pulling the front of the pack. We made a wrong "straight" and missed one of the turns during the beginning of the ride so thats why the front pack was rustling thru the slower riders like gang busters. I love racing and going fast but this was not a race but some of the RBM guys treated it as one. I am very sorry that your friend got buzzed but that guy, he was rude. I always try to be cordial when passing slower riders and did my best to warn the other riders that I was coming up "on your left" and tried to warn them that I had a large group behind me as well. I was appalled when one of the RBM guys actually screamed at a slower rider to "get the F$#K out of the way” while we were coming up on him and his lady friend. I think it was at that point that I realized that I'd rather not be riding with or "pulling" for those guys if they were going to be total jerks to the other riders. This “ride” turned out to be a race up front and I’m all about drilling it hard but not when we are hammering through slower riders that may not be used to guys blowing by them like we were. The two pro's that were riding with me felt the same way and I heard them mention to each other that they really shouldn’t be riding with those guys so after a while we stopped at one of the rest stops to let them go and then proceeded to have a nice ride. Of course I'm still doing pulls of 30+ and have two seasoned pros behind me loving every bit of my rather large draft so we were not going easy at all but at least we were not in full-on race mode (until the sign sprints of course!). I had a great time and shared some good times with my fellow riders and was happy to raise some funds for those in need. I don't mean to be rude but I did enjoy checking out one of your Luna Ladies, I never cought her name but the kit suits her well!

Regards,
-Big Scott

Stewart said...

Nice email from a fellow rider. I hope nobody ever tells me to get the **** out of the way because he might get a rude awakening.:)

It's always great to here from riders who are serious but know how to have fun and be safe.

Thanks to you Big Scott and happy riding.

Danielle said...

Big Scott,

I am not sure who you were checking out....someone asked me about where they could get a Luna jersey for their wife....was that you?

I am glad to hear that you told peeps "on your left" because no one else was saying it out there!

Those RBM guys were out of control!

Anonymous said...

Danielle,

After looking over your blog/pics I realized that it was you I was checking out... now I feel like even more of a dork!

Ride on,
-Scott

Danielle said...

Very flattering! Thanks Scott!

Tat said...

Sound like you have a secret admirer!

Stewart said...

Hmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Stu, I guess it's not such a secret...

I hope to see you guys out there sometime, I do most of the group rides & ride out to and around the rock regulary plus I do the gaps at least once a month. I started racing MTB's for APB a while back and did rather well in the Clydesdale class. My first Tri was an Ironman and my 2nd was an Ironman as well. My teamate and I raced won the GA state MTB series (1999 & 2000) and figured we'd step it up and do a Tri... Figured we'd just go for it and signed up for the PC Ironman.

If you guys want a laugh go over to Trish's site (http://www.sadlebred.com/) and check out my race report on the bottom of the page.

l8tr,
-Scott

Danielle said...

Looks like you had "fun" in Greenville!

Wes said...

Hi Danielle! Thanks for the kind words. You rocked GCT!! I hope the water is smooth as ice for IM FL in November!

I agree with the other comments here. Anyone who yelled that crap at me on a group ride would soon be on the ground... just sayin...