Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Stopping to smell the roses....

It feels so good to be home and have Gulf Coast behind me! I feel quite relaxed and calm now that it's all over and done with. My recovery has been totally amazing. I was no where near as sore as I thought I would be. After a mini-bike ride Monday I was totally good to go-no more soreness. My left knee is tender like it always is, and I have been icing it a lot.

I rode yesterday at Stone Mountain for 1:40. Bob and I rode a couple of loops, then Dana joined in for one, then Dave, Tat and Steven came. Tat was sporting her new P2C from All3. It's very nice! Dave was representing Cobb County and it was great to have him in our neck of the woods! Although there were no roses to stop and smell, the ride was still fragrant with the sweet smell of honeysuckles. It was a fantastic ride and my HR avg was so low, 128, I thought that maybe there was a problem with my monitor.

Today I wanted to get a run in but had one problem: blisters on my feet. I had this one blister in particular that was really big and on top of my pinkie toe. It made it look like a little cone-head toe. So I had to take matters into my own hands:


Nothing a little time with a syringe couldn't fix!

My plan was to run the big loop at Stone Mountain, but it started to rain so I bailed and went to the gym instead. I did 7 miles on an incline. Knee was bothering me, but if I raced a half-Ironman 4 days ago, my quads, calves, and hammies have no recollection of it.

This evening it was on to Master's swimming for more amazing workouts. I was very sad to learn that the heat has been turned off. No more steamy morning swims for me! Because of this really weird cool weather we are having, the pool was very cold. When I say very cold, I mean like maybe 74 degrees cold. But it may have been colder. I froze the entire time. Coach "I don't care if you're a triathlete when you're here you're a swimmer" Bill tricked me into swimming 800 yards more than I was supposed to. That is what happens when someone is telling you what to do and you can't do quick math in your head. Whatever because I need all the swimming I can get. I couldn't get over how awesome today's swim felt! I was way faster than I thought I would be and when Coach assigned me some IM's then learned I can't do IM's (yet) he made me do something even harder. He told me that I needed to do it because I seemed like I liked a challenge. Oh really?!? Me?!? When he said I could use the pull buoy I declined telling him "that was for emergencies only"

Hope that everyone else is stopping to smell the roses and having a great training week too!

3 comments:

Stewart said...

yep, it was fun and i will be back!! my hr avg was 133, so you had an operation piece of machinery.:)

Tat said...

I had an awesome time!

Kellye Mills said...

Congratulations on your amazing race at Gulf Coast!! You are going to have a terrific first IM in August!!