Sunday, May 25, 2008

Tales from a serious brake squeezer!



It's 2am and my alarm is set to go off at 5:00 am for my ride at the Gaps. Instead of sleeping I was reading Competitor magazine and wondering what the world record is for the woman's 40k time trial. Should I fire up the computer and search for it? Nope, I will try to sleep instead. Ugh. Remind me in the future that codeine make me WIDE awake! I can't seem to remember not to take it in the evenings!

Despite being majorly tired I got up and made my way up to Dahlonaga with Keith, Bob, Sue, Tat, Steven, Dave, Hunter, Sarah and Olga. Right away Sue started hammering it and Bob followed. Keith, me, Olga, and Sarah attempted to keep them in our eyesight. They're really good climbers! I learned today just how much I don't like descending. There are cool things about the Gaps: the climbing, the nice scenery, the inspirational things still painted on the ground from the Tour (my fav: Dopers Suck!) But what goes up must come down: and this chick doesn't like going down! When you see a sign with squiggly marks on it and there is a runaway truck ramp? Yeah, um that requires a lot of brakes for me. I would hit about 30 mph and just freak and squeeze tighter and tighter. Olga would blow past me in the aero bars-so much confidence! Keith said "You're pretty good at climbing but you suck at descending" Well brakes are like what $40? I would rather burn through a pair than have an accident any day!

After the ride Keith, Bob and I ran for 45 minutes. My legs were no where near as trashed as I thought they would be. It was a pretty descent run, hot, and not as flat as I wanted it to be. But it was the mountains so what did I expect?

In other news Keith no longer wants to be referred to as "Hill Troll". He believes that it has negative connotations. I asked him if he thought that "Mountain Muskrat" sounded better. He doesn't. He likes the nickname "King of the Mountain" or "KOM" but I think after yesterday, Bob has dibs on that one!

1 comment:

Tat said...

Keith is now either the Mayor or the triathlete formerly known as....., i like the first one better, it's shorter!