Saturday, March 1, 2008

Chattahoochee Road Runners 10k

Well, my first 10k of this year is done and over with! First of all, let me say that I love technical t-shirts. I wish all races would please get rid of the outdated cotton and make the switch.

Race morning started with me having an upset stomach. I think it was my body just knowing how much I was going to hurt! I ended up at the race site super-early (as always!!!) but felt pretty good once my stomach got settled. Chatted with Nat for a bit and met Steph.

I made the mistake of starting in the back and had to navigate my way around literally hundreds of people. This was the first time that I actually felt fast in a road race because I am not used to passing people! But there were tons of people that were running SO slow! I couldn't figure out what was wrong with them! I got into a groove and just ran. This was only my third "stand-alone" 10k that I have ever run so I didn't really expect much. I was hoping to go sub-52 minutes which seemed like it would be really fast for me. I wasn't too optimistic because of how much my leg was hurting this week and the little amount of speedwork that I have been doing. This was a great course though, and I made my time goal! Garmin said time was 50:51 or a 8:08 pace for 6.26 miles, official time was 50:31 I think. I was 25th out of 90 in my age group, not great, but not the bottom of the pack either.

Congrats to Nat and Steph who tore up the 35-39 age group with 1st and 2nd place! They are SOOOO freakin' fast! Maybe one day.....

2 comments:

Nat said...

OMG! That is awesome!!! If it matters you are way faster than I was at your age. Took having babies to speed me up!

Danielle said...

Really, babies huh? That's an idea....immaculate conception here I come!