Monday, March 17, 2008

Weather Challanged....

I have no clue how to dress for running. Biking? That's much easier. Running requires a lot of thinking and checking outside and internet consulting before I leave my house. It makes me crazy. At the Chattahoochee 10k I wore tights. BAD idea! Nat told me I would be burning up and I said I would be fine. She was totally right. I was heated up like an ant under a microscope. Did I learn my lesson? Of course not! I set out yesterday in almost the same outfit for a 12-miler, when it was 45 degrees and getting warmer every second! After seven miles I was hot and on the verge of hitting the wall. That's my second running issue. Fueling: Either too much and my stomach starts cramping or not enough and I bonk. Today I bonked. I ran to Hunter's house in search of some shorts and some food. He wasn't home so I ran to Stone Mountain thinking maybe someone I knew would have a gel pack. Nope not today. So I just slowed down and ran home, thinking to myself how much running has made my cycling suck and how miserable it is to run when you're starving and how not awesome the ING half is going to be.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will rock the ING! TAT

Anonymous said...

I guess I need to place some important workout gear and nutritional supplements into a cache in the yard somewhere, so you will have an emergency pit stop even when I'm not home! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Not the best idea, but this is what my coach used to do: slowly eat a moe's burrito between mile intervals. Sounds gross, but come race day he had a stomach of steel!

Nat said...

Tips on dressing for the run:
If you are not uncomfortably cold for the first mile you are overdressed or it summer.
Dress like it is 15-20 degrees warmer than it is.
Light weight layes. Tights, you can roll up, shirt you can tie around your waist. Never wear a vest unless is in the 30's or super light weight. Ditto for a jacket.
As for fueling you might consider getting one of those hand held water bottles that wrap on your hand and sip as you go. Or do cliff shot blocks and munch one every mile.

Danielle said...

I have the hand-held water thing and LOVE it, cliff bloks tear me up big time!!!! I am trying to ease off the gels and go with something light to drink like gatorade, I will use the ING half as a training run for my stomach to see what works for Gulf Coast. Hopefully I will get some kicking new Luna products that will work!