Saturday, March 29, 2008

Par for the Course

All week long people have been asking me about my goals for the ING half-marathon. To be perfectly honest with you, I haven't really thought anything about it. I am on a single-track mind right now and all I can focus on is two things: Not DNF'ing at Gulf Coast and Ironman Louisville. I am obsessed with it and so worried that I am not training enough, but there isn't much I can do about that until this semester is done.

So the ING half-marathon? I am thinking of it as an organized training run. Really and truly I am! No goals, no PR attempts, nothing. I don't want to compromise my triathlon training for next week by killing myself out there tomorrow. But of course, I don't want it to totally suck either. I didn't taper (probably should have a little bit in hindsight) and now I am regretting it because my legs don't feel fresh and because of this wonderful RAIN my leg is throbbing. This has happened right before my last two road races and the pain from the rain seems to go away after four or so miles.

I got my bib number today. I can't remember what it is, but I am in corral 3 which is not far back enough for my slow self. But I would rather get trampled over than try to navigate my way through slower runners. I saw many peeps out there getting race ready and the expo was far less crowded than I expected. As I was pulling out of the parking lot someone pointed out that my tire was pancake flat. Awesome. I pulled into another parking lot and waited a little over an hour for AAA. There was a large piece of metal in my tire. Always me with flat tires! I had a tasting for a particular Outback pasta only to learn it was discontinued. Drats!! I stopped by CVS for more allergy meds (don't be afraid at my sneezing, it's really not contagious), got some Mama Fu's and headed home to discover.......a big pile of Poncey poopoo! Seriously, he exploded with three days worth and it really ticked me off. So I had to scrub and steam clean and lament on how this evening was anything but relaxing.

Now I cannot find my oxy-socks. The one night that I really want to sleep in them they are gone. Plus I just realized that I am out of gels. I am also in a tizzy about what to wear for the run since the weather is changing again. This is turning into a stellar night!

Repeat after me: there is more to life than flat tires and dog poop.........there is more to life than flat tires and dog poop.....

May tomorrow be filled with fun times and PR's to everyone else that's racing and "training running"!!!

No comments: