Monday, March 24, 2008

Endurance isn't really all that great sometimes!

The motto "Go long, go hard" may be great for training. But when you apply it to alcohol consumption, not so much. Let's just face it: endurance training and endurance drinking do NOT go hand in hand. I learned this the hard way this weekend. Ouch. I am STILL hurting! After the reception we went on a boat ride for a couple of hours. I seriously should have ended my night there. But nope, instead I went out to the bar at the Hyatt, then Wet Willie's, then back to the hotel room. We closed down Wet Willies! They turned the lights on at 3:30 a.m. and everyone started scurrying like little rats, not wanting to expose themselves in the light. I am not normally a heavy drinker at all, and a bottle of wine can last me a month. But my competitive nature got the best of me and I didn't want to be the first one to throw the towel in and go to bed. Waking up on Sunday was awful. My joints hurt, my neck and back hurt, even the hairs in my nose hurt. I was having some serious sinus issues from allergies on top of a huge hangover. I went downstairs to get some coffee and a bagel looking like something that had just gotten run over. Remember how cute my hair looked in the wedding pics? Well, not so great the next morning! Of course I ran into everyone in Mandy's very Catholic family in the lobby on their way to Church. Ugh. I am such a loser.

I would have preferred to stay in bed all morning but I had to come back to Atlanta because it was Easter, a holiday that required a visit to mom's house. Let me tell you that drive back really sucked. The sun was beating down into the car and I wanted to crawl into a dark hole. I would have given everything I owned to someone to just drag my sorry self back to Atlanta and put me in my bed. Big thanks to Mom for warning the rest of the family about my diminished state of being so they weren't really expecting much out of me.

I obviously screwed up my plans of getting back in town early enough for a bike ride. I am now even more of a loser. You guys didn't help matters by being so good and training all weekend.

This may have been my Joe Reger defining moment of giving up alcohol for good. Or at least for the rest of the month!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. Of course, I'm in no position to talk and you're pregnant! Hydrate well and you'll be back at it in no time. Glad you had a good time!

Kellye Mills said...

Sounds like fun, and I like the pictures! Very nice wedding!

Tat said...

Oh, honey! I feel your pain! Literally!
Tat