Saturday, March 8, 2008

Concourse Triathlon Expo


Today was the triathlon expo at the Concourse Athletic Center. I went and checked it out and it was pretty much the same as last year with one exception- All3 Sports was having a "power" contest. Basically you got on a bike that was set-up to a computrainer. They had a course that was set and you rode as hard as you could for two minutes. They weighed you and then gave you a power to weight ratio. They also measured your average watts, speed, and max watts. When I was there earlier in the week picking up my bike they told me about the contest. I think Matt's exact words were "With those legs you are going to do awesome!" In case you haven't met me my legs are gigantic! The exact body type that excels in something like putting out power quickly. When they told me the contest was for $$$ I was in! Bob and Sue were there giving me some pre-race advice. I warmed up for about 8-10 minutes on a stationary bike and then put my shoes on and took off! It started with a gradual uphill and then got really hard at the end. At first the crowd wasn't paying attention to me, but when they noticed my speed they started yelling for me and in the end chanted "go! go! go!" As I got off the bike my legs felt fine, but I was light-headed. I ended up averaging 380 watts, with a max of 608. I forgot what my weight ratio was, but it was really high. Awesome part- I was the overall female winner! Plus I beat about 85% of the guys! I got a really cool trophy, plus a $250 All3 gift certificate!! I got to meet Kellye Mills also, who won second place! Way to go!

3 comments:

Nat said...

Holy smokes that is awesome! V cool hardware too. Is that bronze? If you share your bike secrets with me and Steph we will share run and swim secrets with you.

Danielle said...

I just train on the bike like you train running!

Anonymous said...

I blogged your power prowess. Nice work!